Day 86 of My Italian Learning Journal*
Some years ago one of my hobbies was amateur radio, also known as ham radio. I still have my Federal Communication Commision (FCC) Advanced Class licence, and my call sign is N5ICU. For this post, I was looking at Italian inventors and discovered there has been a great number. The name Guglielmo Marconi reminded me of the time I spent preparing for my FCC examination, and of the many hours I sat at my home amateur radio attempting to make radio contact with other amateur radio operators. One of the more interesting radio contacts I made was with a young man in a remote area of Belize -- his amateur radio was running on solar power.
- Guglielmo Marconi fu un inventore e scienziato italiano.
Guglielmo Marconi was an Italian scientist and inventor.
- Marconi è nato il 25 aprile 1874, a Bologna, Italia.
Marconi was born on April 25, 1874, in Bologna, Italy.
- Egli è famoso per la costruzione del primo telegrafo senza fili.
He is famous for building the first wireless telegraph.
- Il telegrafo senza fili inviò messaggi attraverso l'aria per la prima volta.
The telegraph sent messages through the air for the first time.
- Il telegrafo senza fili era il punto di partenza per la radio.
The wireless telegraph was the starting point for radio.
- - - - - - - - - -
*Note: This is my personal journal of daily practice in learning Italian. I welcome Italian grammar corrections. Grazie.