After work today, my wife and I drove a short distance to a nearby church fundraiser for fried fish dinners. The fish was excellent. Then we looked for a small bakery we had heard about that sells “pan de campo” – also known as “cowboy bread.” We found the place and met the owners, a mother, and her daughter. We waited about 10 minutes for the cowboy bread to be baked, and as we waited we were served samples of the cowboy bread with butter – amazingly delicious. Traditionally, cowboys baked this type of bread in a Dutch oven, with hot coals beneath and over the Dutch oven. (Now for a short practice script in Italian, and grammar corrections are welcome.)
- Oggi pomeriggio io e mia moglie abbiamo cercato una pasticceria di cui avevamo sentito parlare.
This afternoon my wife and I looked for a bakery we had heard about.
- Abbiamo sentito che il panificio produceva pane da cowboy.
We heard the bakery made cowboy bread.
- La piccola panetteria è di proprietà di una madre e sua figlia.
The small bakery is owned by a mother and her daughter.
- Stavamo cercando il pane da cowboy; chiamato "pad de campo" in spagnolo.
We were looking for cowboy bread; called "pad de campo" in Spanish.
- Il pane da cowboy era cotto mentre aspettavamo.
The cowboy bread was baked while we waited.
- Il pane da cowboy valeva assolutamente la pena aspettare.
The cowboy bread was absolutely worth the wait.
- - - - - - - - - -
*Note: This is my personal journal of daily practice in learning Italian. I welcome Italian grammar corrections. Grazie.